How to Attend a Virtual Sit & Share Meeting
We use Skype for our virtual meetings. Skype has some great features that allow us to connect using web cameras and voice.
This tool is easy to use but first there are some technical requirements that you need to understand:
- If you don’t already have Skype software on your computer then you must download and install the latest version of Skype for your PC (it’s free and can be downloaded from www.skype.com).
- If you don’t already have a Skype id then you can create one (some individuals may have concerns around anonymity so it’s up to you how recognisable your Skype name is)
- Once you have a Skype id please send a contact request to the Skype id fifth.precept in advance of attending your first scheduled meeting.
- A web cam, either built-in or external. External web cams can be purchased from any computer store or online retailer.
- Ear buds or a head set. The ear buds prevent feedback. Do NOT use your computers speakers. You can buy ear buds, like the ones you use in radios, mp3 players, etc. at many local shops or online retailers. They can be as inexpensive as £3/$5. If you already have a headset that will work as well.
- A microphone. Some computers have built-in microphones, but the quality of these can be poor. You can also use an external mic, or one that is built into a headset.
Test your computer prior to attending a meeting
- Start Skype and go to Tools > Options > Audio Settings and Video Settings.
- Adjust your settings if necessary then try making a test call to Echo/Sound Test Service.
Attending a Meeting
Make sure that your earbuds or headset and webcam are plugged into your computer BEFORE you enter the meeting.
- Any time from about 15-minutes before the start time of the meeting, please send a message to ‘fifth.precept’ contact saying something like… “Please add me to the meeting”.
- The meeting host will then call you to add you to the meeting.
- Once you are connected with the meeting, look to the menu near the bottom of the screen. (You might need to wiggle your cursor across the bottom of the screen in order to get these icons to appear.) You will need to turn your microphone and video off (at least until the meeting is open to ‘shares’ or until after the closing dedication) by clicking them.
- Please remember to mute your mic when you are not speaking. You do this by clicking the white mic icon. When you are ready to speak, click the mic icon again to unmute.
For more detailed information and troubleshooting tips, see the Skype user guide.
‘Sit-and- Share’ Meditation Meeting Resources
Suggested ‘Example Topics for Sit-and-Share’
Suggested ‘Refuge Recovery’ Guided Meditations
Suggested ‘Readings’ from the essays by Bhikkhu Bodhidhamma in particular – Encouragements Towards Awakening
(Encouragements Towards Awakening in PDF format 14MB)
A directory of international Buddhist Recovery Meetings can be found here..